Saturday, November 8, 2008

my breakfast cereal subsititute

Okay so everyone knows some cereals have animal products in them. And to be honest, I HATE OATMEAL. There I said it. Oatmeal is flippin' gross. Sue me.

So when I was a kid my mom made me something else on cold mornings and I finally reproduced it Vegan style yesterday morning and wanted to share.

Rice Cereal!

Now this takes about 10-20 minutes depending on how long your white rice takes to cook. My bag of white rice said 20 minutes but it was done in 10. I have a gas stove, so who knows, maybe it's hotter.

What you need:

1 cup of white rice

Soy/Rice/Almond milk

Vegan Butter

Sugar or sweetener substitute

How to do it:

Step 1 - Boil your rice. As mentioned before, this could take anywhere from 10 -20 minutes, so if you're busy in the mornings, you can always make the rice the nice before and stick it in the fridge. It works either way.

Step 2- Put rice in a bowl and add your milk product (I used Rice Dream Original) to taste.

Step 3- Add your butter product to taste

Step 4- Add your sugar product to taste

Step 5- Stuff in the microwave and heat it up like you would instant oatmeal. This should be good at about 1 minute on high (obviously you can do this on the stove as well, but this is all about the fast, it is BreakFast after all.)

Step 6- Pull out and stir around. Stick in face. Be full.

You can dress this mess up just like you do oatmeal as well. Brown sugar or cinnamon or fruit. It tastes very similar to oatmeal without the gross texture.

Plus this is a fairly cheap breakfast to make and as far as I know, kids like it!

No comments: