Wednesday, November 5, 2008

election night nachos


So last night I had a last minute election party and had to make a nacho/layered dip out of stuff I found in my cabinets. My recipe is completely vegetarian but could be made vegan with a few adjustments.

Ingredients:

1- Can of Black Beans

2- can of Vegetarian refried beans. This brand is my favorite.

3- can of diced tomatoes. the kind I had on hand were diced for salsa or chili, I use them when making my veg sloppy joes.

4- Cheese dip. Now since I'm not vegan, I just used the Tostitos Salsa Con Queso but for you vegans out there, I looked up a recipe for 30 Second Vegan Chili Cheese dip. Since that recipe calls for beans, you could forgo one of the other kinds of beans I used, but I actually think this would work just as well.

5- jar of salsa

6- cheese (or vegan cheese)

How to make it:

Grab an oven safe casarole dish. (Pyrex is best, y'all) Add the black beans as your bottom layer, then cover with the diced tomatoes. After that layer on the refried beans. Cover that layer with your cheese dip of choice. Sprinkle real cheese over the top.

How hot you cook it, really depends on how fast you want it. Since I wasn't in a hurry, I put mine in the oven at 200 degrees for about 30 minutes. Once I saw something boiling up in the pan, I pulled it out.

I served mine over Mission Round Tortilla chips and everyone went back for seconds at least, even the meat eaters...

No comments: