Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Vegan Cheese

Since Stephanie posted a recipe that uses vegan cheese recently, I had to pipe in with my 2 cents worth. Vegan cheese is difficult to use. Plain and simple. For the most part it's kind of a joke and not worth the hassle. It doesn't really melt, the flavor can be lacking and within a day it dries up in the fridge and becomes even more unmanageable. It's like working with a virgin who finally gives it up (which ends up be quite lackluster since they don't know what they're doing) and then decides to go back to holding off since it's just too much to handle. That is how I view vegan cheese. Sometimes it's a near neccesity though.

When using vegan cheese though, I only use "Vegan Gourmet" this shit actually MELTS! It's the only vegan cheese I've found that does so. It also has a really good flavor. It still dries out and gets nasty if left in the fridge longer than a day though. Which is completely wasteful and annoying as all hell. Recently I had one too many glasses of wine before making dinner and got a bit carried away with my cheese grating and grated too much. Nothing other than my drunken haze compelled me to make this decision, but I ended up freezing said cheese. I knew I wouldn't be using it again for a while, and in the state that I was, sticking it in the freezer seemed like a perfect solution. After all, when you pay as much as you do for vegan cheese, who the hell wants to waste it? Little did I know, it actually was the perfect solution! Freezing it allows it to hold it's moisture and you can just take out a little bit at a time as you need it. It completely eliminates the waste! So now everytime I buy it I cut a few slices out of it, then shred the rest, put it all in a ziplock bag and shove it in the freezer. When I need it, I just take out whatever amount I need, let it sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes and then it's all set use! It's the perfect solution and makes for no waste which saves you money that can be better spent towards booze.

Off to fill up my wine glass!
Jen Wa

No comments: