Wednesday, January 28, 2009

homemade pizza

So I've been trying to perfect homemade pizza.

As a mostly vegetarian eater, there aren't a lot of frozen pizza options for me out there and we don't get delivery where I live. Also The Boyfriend is very picky about what goes on his pizza. He HATES mushrooms (I LOVE them) and isn't a big fan of olives. I'm also pretty sure he hates bell peppers. Since I don't eat meat the traditional pepperoni or sausage isn't going to work, and I think we're both getting tired of pineapples.

So the other day I made my first homemade pizza using Pillsbury biscuits for the dough.

This worked okay except that it was hard to get the crust cooked. It was my first attempt and I tried not to be too hard on myself about it.

The flavor was great though. I made sauce, like when I make pasta. I threw some frozen veggies in the wok to get them tender. Added cheese and some faux chickn and threw it in the oven. The result wasn't gorgeous by any means or perfect, but it had good flavor. I knew if I worked on the crust problem, this could end up being one of my favorite things to make. Well that and you know buy a pizza pan and a rolling pin, because I was having to roll out the dough with a wine bottle covered in flour. Hey, don't laugh, it totally worked.

Here's what my first pizza looked like:

Like I said, it wasn't perfect. But it tasted okay.

I went to the store a few days later and spied some other Pillsbury product that seemed better suited to getting the crust I wanted and picked it up. Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations run about the same price as the canned biscuits and you can find them in the same section at the store.

This worked much better as pizza crust, aside from the fact that one sheet of this stuff isn't really enough to make more than a personal pizza. Of course I didn't know this at the time and had to add in some biscuit dough to make it large enough for two people. I also baked the crust a little before adding the toppings, so this helped too. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of this particular creation.

Anyway when I finally get it PERFECT, I'll post the recipe. And some photos of course.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I see that you’re interested and fascinated in food stuffs. This is awesome homemade pizza. You see, we have this food site Foodista.com (http://www.foodista.com) that is a food and cooking encyclopedia that everyone and anyone can edit. Maybe you are interested in sharing some of recipes to us or share your knowledge about food stuffs and techniques, or maybe you just like to write reviews about food, restaurant and recipes...why don't you
visit us sometimes, if it's food you're interested in, then we are interested in you. Don't hesitate to check us out.

I hope to see you there.

Cheers!