Thursday, December 11, 2008

a twist on the green bean casserole

A few years ago my vegetarian friend Russ was living with Jen Wa and I at one of crack house apartments and wanted to make us dinner. This was the first time I had the Famous French's Green Bean Casserole. He and I went to the store and I handed him a Pyrex dish and about half an hour later we had some delicious dinner.

Over the years though, I've made this recipe with a few tweaks, mostly to satisfy The Boyfriend who doesn't really like green beans, mushrooms or anything without a steak in it. Last night I made it again and for the first time ever, there weren't any leftovers! Triumph! Here's what I did.

WHAT TO USE:

1 can or 9 oz of green beans (I like the French of Fancy cut beans the best)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of cream of potato soup
1 can of French's French Fried Onions (really these make the dish)
1 cup of crutons (I used garlic cheese flavor)
Milk
casserole dish

WHAT TO DO:

1-Open and drain green beans. Set aside.

2-Add can of cream of mushroom soup to casserole dish.

3-Add can of cream of potato soup to casserole dish

4-fill one of the empty cans with milk and stir into dish

5- stir in green beans

6- stir in crutons.

7- salt and pepper to taste. bake on 350 in oven for 20-30 minutes or until hot and thick.

8-remove dish from oven, add French's fried onions to the top of the dish like a crust

9-replace in oven and bake for 5 minutes or until top of casserole is golden brown.

10- remove from oven and let stand for about 5 minutes

The crutons and potato soup mask the mushroom soup and give the casserole more depth and texture, making it seem more like a meal than a sidedish. The Boyfriend had seconds and thirds, and he's a big meat eater, so I must have been doing something right.

Best of all, this is a fairly cheap dish to throw together and in our house, baking something in the oven is almost better than turning on the heater! Enjoy!

No comments: