Sunday, April 10, 2011

food and relationships

Since moving to Chico I met this guy Ben who is like my domestic partner now or something. No seriously, Ben is my boyfriend. This is us:



Ben was a certified meat eater before me, and I have never set out to change that. EVER. That's his gig. I've even cooked him meat, sausages, chicken, whatever. Mostly because I don't have the right to tell him what to eat any more than a meat eater has a right to tell me what to eat. I don't have a problem with people doing their own thing, just mostly their own thing isn't what I would do.

Ben and I basically live together though and we're talking about getting a serious home/apartment together. I do the cooking, he does the cleaning. Total non gender specific roles. I just love to cook and hate to clean and cooking isn't really his bag. Awesome.

The thing is though, my boyfriend doesn't ask me to cook him meat very often if at all. He's a huge fan of Chikn (the fake stuff) he loves tofu. Like me, he will eat fish every so often but for the most part he only eats other meat when we go out to dinner or when he eats without me. Which I find insanely respectful, and sweet.

The other day though he blew my mind when he said he was thinking about going pescatarian full time as well. Meaning no more half and half pizzas, no more double doubles from In and Out (actually he loves their grilled cheese and veggie burgers go figure) no more bacon (fake-on for real) and no more pepperoni. He's watched me struggle with my lifestyle and eating habits and is willing to at least try it.

This is love folks. I think I will put him on the 30 day weaning challenge. I did this when I gave up meat. You only eat meat three times a week, then two, then one, then not at all. It's nice because you don't have to go full stop and you get used to it.

But I love it because we can create meals together or at least he can give me ideas. Things he misses eating, I can figure them out. Mine was sloppy joes and I figured that one out with the quickness. I still haven't recreated proscuitto or pastrami but really I shouldn't want that.

(God it was good though...)

No comments: