Thursday, October 16, 2008

Vegan "Chicken" Fajitas

Not only am I vegan, I am also gluten intolerant. So cooking for me is always an extra difficult task. Nothing I cook is "fancy" but it all has to be from scratch, and it has to be quick and easy due to my busy schedule. Did I mention it also has to be cheap? I live on an extremely tight budget. Combine that with the fact that I only cook for myself and it gets to be a REAL challenge trying to add some flavor and live off on anything other than plain boring rice. I like to choose a theme for the week. For instance this week is mexican. A bag of corn tortillas can be used for numerous different recipes and leftovers can easily carry over to spice up new recipes the next day. It saves money and diminishes waste. For nothing irritates me more than having to toss out food. With that said, this is one of my favorite recipes.

Ingredients:
1 Package Tempeh (found next to the tofu)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Small Onion
1 Small Green Pepper
1 Package Fajita Seasoning Mix !!Always read the ingredients on the back to ensure it's vegan!!
Corn Tortillas

optional:
Tofutti Sour Cream
Vegan Gourmet Cheese



Slice onions, peppers, and Tempeh into thin strips. Heat up olive oil in a frying pan on medium high. Add onions, peppers, and Tempeh. Heat, stirring frequently until Tempeh is a golden brown. Add one cup of water and immediately mix in fajita mix. Turn heat down to a low to medium heat. Stir frequently until the water has boiled down. Heat up tortillas, fill with fajita mix, add cheese and sour cream if you so desire.

Quick, easy, and tasty! I like to later use the left over fajita filling to top nachos.

-Jen Wa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that actually sounds delicious. i have such a hard time finding certain things around here beyond tofu (like Tempeh, which ive never tried) but its probably because i do most of our shopping at food for less, which less face it, is basically a butcher shop. i'll keep an eye out for the other stuff when i go to trader joes, because id like to try this.

Jennifer said...

@discotrash you should be able to get it at vons or trader joe's, it runs around $2-$3 and it's SO much tastier than tufu for this sort of stuff.